Nashville Repertory Theater’s Managing Director leads the Rep’s strategic planning, audience development (marketing and fundraising), business operations and financial management. Working collaboratively with the Artistic Director and the Board, the Managing Director ensures the Rep has the resources to achieve its mission, is connected to the community, and is sustainable. Overall responsibilities include: maximizing all revenue streams; building collaborative relationships with the community; overseeing all aspects of the administration of the Nashville Rep.
Position to begin immediately, and open until filled. Salary will be commensurate with experience and fall within TCG guidelines for a managing director in our budget group. To apply, compile into one PDF a letter of interest, a resume, and contact information for your last four employers, and email to Rep board president Marjean Coddon, email@example.com. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Specific Responsibilities include:
1. Strategy. Desired Outcome: Build the Rep into an effective, productive and flexible organization with clearly defined mission-driven objectives.
- Drive long-term organizational strategies and brand building, working in partnership with the board, the artistic director and other stakeholders as appropriate.
- Provide leadership and coordination in planning and implementing organizational strategy.
- Advocate at the city, state and national levels for Nashville Repertory Theatre and the arts.
2. Financial Management/Revenue Innovation. Desired outcome: Develop a financially stable and fiscally viable organization.
- Develop annual budget for board approval that includes all operations and revenue generating activities.
- Work with the finance director and the finance committee to develop financial processes and strategies.
- Monitor the Rep’s financial status regularly and provide fiscal leadership to make financial recommendation to the Board when necessary.
- Develop innovative revenue opportunities that align with the Rep’s mission and complement traditional ticket revenue.
3. Audience Development: Fundraising. Desired outcome: Create and execute a clearly defined development plan.
- Lead and directly oversee fundraising from all sources, working in partnership with the development director, to include:
- gifts from individuals (major and otherwise, via annual campaign, events, etc,)
- grants from public and private sources
- corporate support
4. Audience Development: Marketing. Desired Outcome: Create and execute clearly defined marketing plan and PR plan.
- Work with marketing director to develop marketing plans to increase ticket sales of all types—subscriptions, individuals, groups.
- Work with marketing director, development director and artistic director to develop Public Relations strategies to increase brand awareness of Nashville Rep and its programs.
5. Administration. Desired Outcome: Build, manage and lead a professional and productive administration of the company’s operations.
- Build an effective administrative team.
- Establish a healthy, enjoyable working environment.
- Provide leadership to develop/update all HR policies/procedures and practices, working with Board for approval on all policies.
- Oversee business office management.
- Oversee all administrative negotiations of contracts/agreements.
6. Collaboration. Desired outcome: Build and cultivate the Rep’s ability to build and maintain relationships with other arts organizations.
- Identify and cultivate mutually beneficial relationships with other organizations and individuals.
- Work to build Nashville Rep’s reputation as a cultural leader in the region.
- Represent Nashville Rep at Rep events and in the community
7. Governance/Board development. Desired Outcome: Build the board’s capacity to positively impact the organization.
Work with board leadership to identify, cultivate and recruit new board members.
- Engage board members to maximize their participation and financial contribution to Nashville Rep.
Sphere of Responsibility and Accountability
- Reports directly to the President of the Board of Directors.
- Oversees all administrative and audience development staff.
- Works very closely in partnership with artistic director to ensure harmony of staff function, effective organizational planning and community relations.
Characteristics of ideal candidate
- Minimum of two years of senior level, professional non-profit theatre management and leadership experience, preferably with:
- Demonstrated success and experience in fundraising and marketing.
- Administrative experience that includes financial planning and budgeting.
- Human Resources experience that includes staff management and working with a board and key volunteer constituents.
- Experience with information management systems/data.
- A graduate degree in arts administration or management preferred; equivalent experience will be considered.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable, effectively manage multiple priorities and deadlines and work collaboratively with a wide variety of people both paid and volunteer.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strategic thinker with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- The capacity to think expansively to develop vision for moving Nashville Rep to the next level of artistic achievement with financial sustainability.